Following a participatory and inclusive process, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) adopted a common agricultural policy in January 2005, the ECOWAP/CAADP revised in 2015 to the horizon 2025 in accordance with the 2014 Malabo Declaration and the SDGs. Its implementation is based on the coordination of national and regional intervention, through the development of National Agricultural Investment Plans Food and Nutritional Security (NAIPFNS), and a Regional Plan (RAIPFNS).
As part of the implementation of ECOWAP, the project - Improving Governance of Resilience, Food & Nutrition Security and Sustainable Agriculture in West Africa (PAGR-SANAD) has been formulated. It is a regional program for the benefit of intergovernmental organization (ECOWAS, UEMOA and CILSS) and Regional Professional Organizations (RPO), funded by the European Union (EU-ECOWAS-UEMOA Convention). The action mainly aims at improving the governance of FNS and Sustainable Agriculture as well as Resilience in West Africa and the Sahel: 15 West Africa countries and 2 Sahel countries (Chad, Mauritania). It falls under objective 3.1 of the 11th EDF Regional Indicative Program for West Africa.
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen the governance of FNS and Sustainable Agriculture, in order to ensure, in the face of economic and environmental risks, better access to food and better nutritional impact and to strengthen the resilience of vulnerable populations while promoting inclusive economic and social growth.
To this effect and to ensure a more robust monitoring of the project, the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD) responsible for the implementation of the project at ECOWAS Commission intends to use part of the project funding to recruit a Consultant / Food and Nutrition Security (FNS) Expert in charge of FNS policy monitoring.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director of Agriculture and Rural Development but in collaboration with other components and partners of the project, the Expert in Food and Nutrition Security in charge of FNS policy monitoring will have the mandate to monitor and evaluate the PAGR-SANAD Project and assist the DADR & ARAA on the implementation of ECOWAP/CAADP mechanisms, including all ECOWAP projects under the governance of ECOWAS/DARD. Specifically, he will perform the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Ensure alignment of PAGR-SANAD M&E framework and outputs to overall DARD planning and annual work plans;
- Monitor PAGR-SANAD project implementation and implement M&E activities including performance monitoring plan updating, data collection, data entry, analysis and reporting;
- Assess the effectiveness and efficiency of project activities, outputs and outcomes;
- Coordinate the generation of data/information from all aspects of the project as well as ensuring the production of periodic monitoring reports;
- Participate in facilitating project management and sharing knowledge including dissemination of various project documents such as newsletters, success stories and other related documents to various stakeholders when required;
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the project Management Committee but under the leadership of the Director of Agriculture and Rural Development
Qualifications, skills and experience
Applicants must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Hold a Masters’ degree in Monitoring and Evaluation, Development evaluation, Agro-economics, International development, Statistics or any other related field ;
- Have at least 5 years of experience in a similar position in a development organization , an international NGO or an institution/organization working mainly in the field of agriculture and rural development;
- Have a very good knowledge of the agriculture sector in the ECOWAS region;
- Demonstrate a solid knowledge of Monitoring and Evaluation approaches;
- Have a good command of Information and Communication Technology tools;
- Be able to work in a multidisciplinary team and under strong pressure, in a network and have a sense of organization, negotiation and building consensus;
- Have a good ability to communicate orally, in writing and in the editing of scientific and general documents;
- Be proactive and well organized with a good ability to plan tasks and solve problems;
- Must be 40 years old or below and be in excellent physical capacity for many potential travels to ECOWAS/UEMOA Member States as and when required.
- Must speak and read fluently one of the official languages of ECOWAS (English, French, and Portuguese). A working knowledge of a second language would be an advantage.
Location, Duration and start of the mission
- The consultant will be based in Abuja, Nigeria at the Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD);
- The duration of the mission is twelve (12) months with the possibility of an extension according to the availability of funds and the performance;
- The assignment will start within two weeks after contract notification.
The application file package is made up of:
- A letter of expression of interest, including the period of availability;
- A recent curriculum vitae detailing the work experience and similar assignments;
- Three professional references (names and forenames, current functions, functions at the time of the collaboration with the Consultant, email and telephone contacts)
- Copy of the highest degree in agricultural economics, rural development, economics, agronomy, agro-economics, statistics or any related discipline;
- Copy of employment Certificate or assignments completion mentioned in the curriculum vitae.
NB: Any incomplete document will be rejected.
Submission of applications
Applications are received no later than 25 December 2020 at 16 h 00 mn GMT, by physical deposits or by e-mail at the following addresses:
Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food (RAAF),
83, Rue de la Pâture, Lomé, Togo (sealed envelope: “Consultant, Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant/ RAAF)". firstname.lastname@example.org
With object: "Recruitment of Consultant / Food and Nutrition Security (FNS) Expert in charge of FNS policy monitoring”
NB: Applications which are not marked “Consultant, Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant/ RAAF” will not be considered.
The Consultant will be selected according to the qualification-based selection method as defined in the ECOWAS Code. An interview session may be organized with a short list of consultants.
Only shortlisted applications will be contacted. RAAF reserves the right not to act on this expression of interest.